Wednesday, November 7, 2007

5 minute soup!

I came home today and wanted something to eat with the pasta my husband made...lately I've been getting very efficient about having a real dinner after work, and planning and starting meals the night before. So I found a recipe for Stracciatelle , an Italian egg drop soup)

it came out delicious..I omitted the farina because I didn't have any..try it..it also benefited from a dash of black pepper..

2 large eggs
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons semolina (farina or Cream of Wheat), optional
5 ounces (half a 10-ounce package), frozen chopped thawed and well drained

Have soup simmering gently.
Beat eggs lightly in a bowl with grated cheese and semolina, if you opt to use it. Slowly stir in 1 cup of the hot broth and mix until blended.
If you are using spinach, add it to the simmering soup and cook for 2 minutes.
Bring soup to a gentle boil and beat in egg mixture with a fork so it breaks into clumps.
Let cook gently for another 2 to 3 minutes and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Huda said...

Giada de Laurentiis has a version of this in her second book (blanking on the name and too lazy to walk over to check), although she doesn't use the semolina. I'll have to try adding it in. I thought this was a lovely starter course, much like egg drop soup at Chinese restaurants!