Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Late Night at work

Good Day friends,

Last night I worked until 10:50 pm...not bad but I was supposed to be out at 10. We were covering the latest primaries and the plan was to wait until Wisconsin was closed and the winners called. Hawaii also had their primaries last night but seeing that they only have 20 delegates and polls didn't close until hours later, ABC News didn't deem it necessary to wait around.

Rather early in the night the Republican side was called for John McCain who had a rather haughty victory speech, now certain the presidential nomination would go to him. He said "I may not be the youngest candidate but I am the most experienced," which has actually been on my mind. When I look at him I see an old man, and that doesn't represent change or the future to me. I mean it's true Bush was old, but when I looked at him I just saw a _______ (insert insult of choice here) man.

Shortly after 9:30 the Democratic winner Barack Obama stepped up to the podium. Still tasting the fresh victory of 9 straight primaries, I guess Obama was feeling very chatty. Usually I find him a charismatic speaker, despite the recent copycat allegations (yes this is what politics has come down to- see the article here).

But tonight Obama would not stop talking. He talked about ALL his plans for the presidency, from the war, to economy, health care and education. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but this was just ONE primary. He spoke for over 40 minutes (I'm guessing since I stopped watching the clock after 20). Our election coverage was thrown for a loop and we had to let guests go left and right rather than have them sit around that long. The night ended rather disastrously when we lost the video of our anchor from Washington D.C. and ABC News Now became a gaping black hole for a few seconds.

Obama, if and when you get the presidential nomination, how long will that speech be?

1 comment:

samshi said...

Lol- why are people having such issues with his long speech? Think about the people in Texas who came all the way to see him: if he comes in and leaves 10 min later, I'm sure they'll be happy cause you know the news needs to hear other people talk too.. I mean couldn't they just cut to another segment? If they've heard it all before why feel the need to air the whole thing? Unless they know their viewers want to hear it all.