Thursday, May 5, 2011

To be or not to be..a cynic that is


Without going into the details of who, one of my sisters got a rishta recently. It came from what seems on the surface to be a normal, well educated boy, from a decent, down to earth family. So why is my first thought be "what's the catch?"

I have to thank A.A. for reminding me today of how lucky I was to have had a marriage process that was neither drawn out, difficult nor full of drama. By the mercy of Allah, I married someone who was good for me in every way, bought out the best in me, and continues to do so every day. My mother reminds me of this every day though, so, thank you Mom. I love you.

So why the cynicism? Part of it is because I have wonderful friends and family, perfect in every way, having a hard time getting married. It's not as if they are holding out for a prince. So why are they having so much trouble finding a decent, respecting, religious man? Where are all the good men?

The other part of it is from what is going on in our society today. I wish I could shut my ears and eyes to everything around me. There are pre-marital affairs, extra-marital affairs, abuse, divorces, and all kinds of drama ripping apart the community. Young men and women are going through several relationships, before deciding to just give up. Are people short on faith? Is it a lack of humanism in people, that they turn to the person who should be the most beloved to them and betray them, emotionally or physically? I don't have any insight, but all I know is every time I touch my forehead to the ground I fall short of expressing my gratitude to Allah for all that my loved ones and myself have been blessed with.

No comments: