Thursday, October 18, 2007

ABC News Now

I know the point of a blog is to periodically post on it..but I don't have the time..nor the inspiration. So here's my second post today..

I recently started freelancing at ABC News Now...this is now my third freelance gig...freelancing is good because I get to turn down jobs when I feel I need a day off...or want to hang out instead...no guilt involved.

So this new gig is at ABC News Now...it's ABC's 24 hour cable news channel, to compete with the likes of MSNBC and CNN...it's still young, and not really available on television. I hear it can be watched on broadband and Sprint (I don't know how)..so it's limited access, but someone must be watching because they put a lot of work into it. Once it's more widely distributed, I shall let everyone know so you can watch what I work on.

Since it's still in it's baby phase, there's great opportunities there to have ideas picked up, produced and turned into something great..fantastic right? Except I haven't had any ideas...if you do please send them my way!

Last week I also met two on air reporters/anchors at ABC...who both wished me a Happy Eid on ...they both spoke Arabic fluently..and were not Arab..or Desi..or Muslim. One of the reporters (who has reported from Iraq, Lebanon and is the new Russian correspondent for ABC) told me she was meeting with her Arabic teacher the next day for Eid lunch. So sweet.

I am seriously inspired to commence serious Arabic studies within a month Inshalah. I have always been interested but held back because all other Arabic studies in my past have not been as fruitful as I had hoped. Over the years I took several courses, some intensive, in and out of college. My Arabic is still pathetic...the two weeks I spent in Egypt this summer were extremely beneficial (even though it was Egyptian Arabic), but now that I'm back, I need to put some serious work into it.

I will study Arabic with the Rosetta Stone program. I hope I have the self discipline to really benefit from it. I have been turned down from a job once because it was given to a candidate who spoke Arabic. I can't let it happen again. Arabic will benefit me in every way, professionally, socially and in my religion. Please make dua' for me that I finally learn!

On the down side of my new gig, yesterday I had to watch President Bush's presser. Usually I can change the channel, but since it was going ot be part of my news brief...it made me cringe..Luckily I had Rehab (fellow hijabi at ABC) amusing me with emails as I watched it.

No comments: