Friday, October 19, 2007

My Neighbor...

Good Morning Everyone,

I found out this week that my neighbor Mrs. Dunn had passed away.
She was an elderly woman, who lived by herself and a caregiver came by everyday.

I only met her once briefly, it was more like "hi" in the hallway. But once I took over some lemon bars for her once and since she wasn't home, I left them at the doorstep. The next day I got a beautiful hand written note from her, introducing herself and telling me how much she enjoyed them. She asked for the recipe or the name of the bake shop where they came from, and gave me her phone number in case I ever needed anything from her.

A few days later, I went to talk to her, and give her a box of Krusteaz Lemon bars mix (yes it was a mix!). Her caregiver opened and door and so I asked for Mrs. Dunn, and she told me she was sleeping. I told her how she had told me she enjoyed the lemon bars and I wanted to give her the mix. She was quite annoyed, and told me that Mrs. Dunn had Alzeihmers and would not remember me, the bars, or her note. She told me sometimes she'll find Mrs. Dunn walking outside on the street, not remember where she was going. I insisted on giving her the lemon bars mix and she said it would be a waste and Mrs. Dunn could not make them. Nonetheless, I left them there.

I was profoundly sad that here was this old, lonely woman, living by herself. I wanted to be her friend, I wanted to cook for her, have meals with her. Sadly, I now have another missed opportunity to add to my long list. I look back now and wish I had done more, had i been able to get past her caregiver.

Now that she's passed away, I don't know what to do. Anytime I hear of a death I want to make dua' for that person, to be admitted to Jannah, to be saved from the punishment of the grave, for their forgiveness. But Mrs. Dunn was non-Muslim...do I make dua' for her? What kind of dua' can I make for a non-Muslim? I'm going to try to find the answer to this today...but please send me a note if anyone has advice on this.

Sameera

No comments: